Thursday, September 25, 2008

...ayam percik...


I do love visiting Pasar Ramadhan, and this being the fasting month for the Muslims, the Pasar Ramadhan is back. Basically, Pasar Ramadhan (Ramadhan Market) sells food and knick knacks during the whole fasting month for the Muslims before they celebrate their "Aidil Fitri".

Every road and every street corner, you will find at least a stall or two (and some by the dozens) selling all sorts of Malay delicacies. From kuehs to Nasi Ayam to fresh fruits, Pasar Ramadhan is seldom short of variety.

There are a few big and famous Pasar Ramadhans in Penang island. This year, I only managed to visit one near my work place. I was there to get my "ayam percik". Last year, we in the office had a craze of buying ayam percik from this stall. It is located along the Tanjung Tokong Road opposite the Uda Flats. The stall is just byt the roadside.

I may be wrong, but I think ayam percik originated from the East Coast (either from the state of Kelantan or Trengganu). It's the Malay version of BBQ chicken. The chicken is usually marinated with coconut milk and some salt and spices. It is then placed on the wooden clappers and grilled over the fire. It can be served with the peanut sauce.

Ratings : 6/10

No comments: