Friday, September 19, 2008

...a visit to ah tuan ee's place...



My Kuala Lumpur food expedition part II!!! Hahaha!!!

The second night, after a day's long, long seminar...with Mal Warwick (hey, did not know you can see so many of pics in the net). Again, after reaching the hotel, we were a bit too lazy and tired to go downtown. So decided to explore other food outlets in The Curve. The food outlets, although expensive seem to be very popular they were all packed again!!!

Since Mei Mei was not too keen with buffet, we wanted to try Bubba Gump, but unfortunately, it was blocked for a private function. In a dither, we could not decide on when to go. Finally, met a familiar name...Ah Tuan Ee. No, we do not know who Ah Tuan Ee is, but sounds very Penang!!! So, in we go to Ah Tuan Ee's place.
True to the namesake, they serve Nyonya cuisine. I am very much against having Nyonya food in restaurants...we pay so much for the food we have almost every week. Anyway, in our hunger, we strode in. The ambiance is quite nice...after browsing the menu, we settled for Joo Hoo Char, Sambal Kiam Hoo and Kapitan Chicken (that is a must for me if I have to eat out in a Nyonya restaurant).
The Sambal Kiam Hoo came first. Very red looking (but aren't all sambal kiam hoo looks red?). Then the chicken. Then the Joo Hoo Char. We had a plate of plain rice each.
My first scoop of the Sambal Kiam Hoo almost set me on fire!!! It was really hot and spicy. I was hoping it has a taste of acar kiam hoo!!! My tongue was wagging like Rin Tin Tin!!! I do not know what happened, but I lost a picture of the Sambal Kiam Hoo. Anyway, I had to order another bowl of white rice to finish the sambal. Well, I have to give a little credit to the Kapitan Chicken. The aroma from the rempah is nice. Next, the Joo Hoo Char. It really could turn all the old Peranakan cooks in their graves. The turnips were not definely shredded. Only a few strands of Joo Hoo Si and the taste is a little blend.
Well, Ah Tuan Ee, if you ever visit Penang, let me introduce you to some of my Mak Ee Poh Sotongs!!! Your food maybe nice to people in the Central, they make better and more authentic Nyonya food up here in the North.
Ratings : 6/10

No comments: