Monday, September 15, 2008

...a forum of dim sum...


After talking to Carole (YewSuan) so much about dim sum and char siew paus, well, I just remembered I have some pics taken when I had lunch in The Forum Chinese Cuisine a few weeks ago with my colleagues.

Dim sum and paus (dumplings) have always been one of my favourite. I would always go ga-ga over the sight of char siew paus and those little dim sums and to add to my ga-ga-ness, nothing compares with dim sum dipped in sweet sauce (tnee cheow)!!!

I remembered when I was working in the airlines back in the early 90s. I was sent for trainings regularly in Singapore. The was a dim sum restaurant in the departure hall of the Changi International Airport called Fook Yuen (or something like that). I remembered SS Yee with his family took me there to send me off. He ordered a variety of dim sums. There was one that really, really intrigued me...banana and prawn wrapped in a thin flour skin. The taste of the combination of sweet and savoury lingered on my mind until my next trip. I ta pau back almost SG100.00 for this special dim sum. Ooh...how crazy I can get over food then!!!
Back to the dim sum in The Forum. This Chinese restaurant is located on the top floor of the almost dying Metrojaya (Island Plaza). The restaurant is very impressive. It is a nice place for dining.
We ordered the Superior Har Gao (mediocre not superior), BBQ Chee Cheong Fun (nice), Shrimp Chee Cheong Fun (nice), Fried Raddish Cake (so-so), Mini Egg Tarts (this is nice, the pastry is crispy and flaky and the custard is not extremely sweet) and my BBQ Pork Dumpling (char siew pau - tried better). The Fried Dumpling Red Bean (Chee Mah Cho - sesame ball with red bean filling or we used to call them "mini-bomb") is fried to prefection.

The Steamed Pork Ribs with black bean is really nice. Tender and tasty. Deep fried Salad Shrimp with mayonnaise dip (do not recall of any salad - mediocre), Yam Dumpling (woo kok - so-so), BBQ Pork Pie (char siew soh - also so-so) and the Canton Spring Rolls (this is nice too. It is meaty and tasted like sausage pastry). The best of the lot is the Beef Ball with Bean Curd. (It's a mixture of beef and tendon...juicy meat and tasty too).
The price ranges from RM3.80 - RM5.80. I guess for a Chinese restaurant of that stature, the pricing is rather reasonable. They even have tnee cheoh for me!!! No matter what, they are so much better than the overrated Foh Sun's in Ipoh (a restaurant that I do not miss).
Thanks Jenny for the lunch and photos.
Ratings : 7/10

1 comment:

YewSuan said...

Everytime I read ur blog.. makes me hungry ...argghhhh ***!!! **** As what we suggested earlier to you, we support u to publish the makan makan book ... Remember to give me one with your autograph tau ? :P