Friday, September 26, 2008

...seafood along the highway...

Been there many times, but first time since I started "blogging". Have always like and enjoy the food here, although sometimes the thought of being caught in the usual traffic jam before and on the bridge does turn me off...but then, like the song goes..."ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no river wide enough"...for good food that is!!!
Restaurant Highway Seafood, is located along the namesake, highway to Jawi. It is on the immediate left after the flyover from Simpang Empat to Jawi (the same direction as we go to Restoran Tang Ling in my post for paus).

Here are some of the really good dishes not to be missed...
Steamed Garoupa with Hor Fun. This is something I hardly come across back in the island. The fish is steamed Cheng Choi (clear steamed literally translated as soya sauce is being used) style with some hor fun under. Just imagine this garnished with lots and lots of fried chopped garlic and some chopped spring onions. The hor fun is smooth and soaked in the wonderful gravy.

The marmite chicken is another must-try dish. The chicken is cut into small pieces and marinated with marmite and deep fried and what I believe in some coat of honey. It comes in a small portion which I think I can finish the whole serving!!!

We also had the tom yam prawns. I like this dish, because instead of having the tom yam soup all the time, this is a good change. It is served with a generous helping of tomatoes and onions. It's a good combination of sweet, sour and spicy.

Next came the lala (shell fish). This is another dish that we seldom come across in the island. This dish is special because the lala is steamed in lime juice. This restaurant seems to be very generous with their garlic, as the lala is sprinkled with freshly chopped garlic.As you bite in to it, you can still taste the juice of the squid.
The brinjal stir-fried with bean curd (tao hu) is good. Also a new dish which I have not tried before is the Kai Lan stir-fried with Kiam Bak (salted meat).
I prefer Kai Lan with Pee Hoo. The there is the brocolli with straw mushrooms (shitake). Those are more mild dishes.

A MUST have is the crab in tang hoon (glass noodles). This dish is really something!!! The craustacian is cooked with the glass noodles with milk and pepper. The gravy is creamy (but of milky kind) and peppery. Although I do not really fancy too much pepper in my food, this is exceptional. This is my personal favourite dish, although I do not eat the crabs, I simply adore the tang hoon.

After all these, what a better way to end a great repast with the fried ice-cream. So far, Restaurant Highway serves the best fried ice-cream I have tried. The bread covering is not soaked in oil and the combination of cold and hot is simply unusual.

So, it's worth every mile you travel to Highway for this good seafood.
Ratings : 8/10

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Keedo,

how nice we're hving such a good dinner at Highway.... yummy!!