Sunday, August 10, 2008

...bee koh...


Bee Koh, after Ang Koo and Huat Kuih, is one of the most famous nyonya kuih (chinese cakes) for auspicious prayers. Like the other two, it usually high in demand during Chinese New Year offerings to the Gods and Tnee Kong, death anniversary prayers, offerings to datuk kongs and even funerals.

There have been reasons why Bee Koh is often associated with this famous story, why taoists would offer this kuih at prayers for the dead. It seems, during the seventh day of someone's death, the spirit will return to the house not knowing of it's death. The family members would offer the Bee Koh to the spirit during offering, so that when the spirit uses it's fingers to dig into the kuih, the finger nails will turn black (some said the kuih is so sticky that, the finger nails will drop off!!!). The the spirit will know that he or she is dead.

Now, for the living who enjoys the pearly white Bee Koh, it is made of steamed glutinous rice, coconut milk and sugar. A good bee koh, must not be too sticky nor too dry. It must have the grainy texture, but not the taste of uncooked rice. Every bite, must be creamy enough and not too sweet nor too blend. The ingredients are simple, but it is the method to mix and stir and steam that matters.

One of the best Bee Kohs (Bee = Rice, Koh = Stir) I have tried is one made by my colleague, Ah Cheh. It leaves you with that perfect creamy sweetness in your mouth. I have tried Bee Kohs from many places and stalls (although I have to admit, glutinous rice is not one of my favourite food), I still find Ah Cheh's the best!!! I wonder if she takes orders...!!! :) Well, as long as my finger nails do not turn black or drop off after taking Bee Koh, then I am happy and thankful!!!
Ratings : 8/10

No comments: