Saturday, August 23, 2008

...tom yam seng...

Here I go on my gastronomical journey with Howard to explore for...whatelse...food!!! Hmmm...most of my friends are food lover...please do not blame me for my waistline!!! Carole, good luck in your "Target Bikini"...mine will be "Target Sarong" soon!!!

Like earlier mentioned, I am quite particular about my tom yam soup and Tom Yang Seng is at the top of my upside down list so far!!! Tom Yam Seng, or Ghee Seng Tom Yam Seafood is located on the ground floor of Taman Harbour Trade (near the new junction of going straight to the Jelutong Highway or turn back to town). Its right to the end after the Penang Ferry Terminal (after a passing all the clan jetties). The shop sells another one of Penang's "famous" hokkien mee in the morning.

Sadly, the tom yam does not make it to my mark nor live up to its name. When you go to such shops or restaurants with the name that links with the famous thai soup, naturally that is what you will order, but dearie, the soup is so "pipe-watered" down!!! It appears like tom yam alright, but lack of the kicking taste of tom yam, lack of tom yam fragrance and worse, it tasted like tap water!!! It is a real tom yam nightmare!!! I have tried bad tom yam soup, but this tops it all so far. The sight of the kitchen may add to the taste, sub-conciously.
We ordered the disastrous soup, tom yam lobak, fried khai lan kiam hoo (salted fish) and fried fish with chili padi and thai fried rice. The tom yam lobak is just a notch better than the soup...still, a little too blend for my taste. At least it has the taste of tom yam paste and nothing more. As for the fried fish...well, my uncle does a better fried fish with chili padi than this. It has an akward blend of soya sauce and too much pepper. I always find the strong peppery smell kills the original fragrance of the food. You can order whole fish or fillet, but the taste is no difference. The only consolation is the fried khai lan kiam hoo...at least it has kiam hoo and the vegetable is not over cooked. The thai fried rice...hmmm...like any ordinary fried rice...I really did not find a tint of oomph at all in the food...just good to fill up an empty tummy.
P/S Thanks for the photos, Howie!!! Your almost RM3,000 camera is worth!!! Hahaha :P
Ratings : 4/10

No comments: