Sunday, August 10, 2008

...chicken ipoh mali...

A few friends asked me out for dinner tonight and after many suggestions, we ended up back in Sungai Tiram (the shop that was featured in my roti bakar article). Having taken my dinner earlier, I decided no seafood noodles nor sea food porridge for me. Just felt like having something that is not too filling.

So I decided to order this "Yim Kok Kai" or Salted Chicken, since the satay there does not really appeal to me. There was this Aunty who barely spoke hokkien (didn't hear utter a word of that dialect although she was spoken to my some customers before me), stir-frying this big pot of white pebbles. Went closer, I see there are a few tracing paper wrapped packages being covered with rock salt (I think, hence the name Salted Chicken). I ordered half a bird, expecting some juicy and succulent meat.

After a few minutes, a little girl came and place this plate of chicken meat on an open piece of paper on the table. The meat looked dry although there was a little what's left of the juice. The taste is nothing spectacular nor something you want to go for more. It's just like the salted steamed chicken my Ah Mah used to cook (even much more moist than this) added with a few slices of Chinese herbs (tong kooi). The bird Aunty used was Kampung Chicken, less meat, less fat...less portion!!! It does not taste any different from any other steamed chicken with salt except this is baked. Not bad, but not good either. Maybe they do it better in Ipoh...

Ratings : 5/10

No comments: