Saturday, August 30, 2008

...roti bak knua, the dying art...


Not many people sells roti bak knua anymore. When we talked about roti bak knua (bun sandwiching grilled meat or jerky), it will sure bring back memories where we can buy them outside almost every cinema in town. Nowadays, you may be able to find a few stalls along some lanes and roads.
I recently discovered a good roti bak knua (bak knua being one of my favourites) stall, although not exactly a well organized or well displayed stall. This uncle puts his wares on his motorcyle and park it under the roof at Mount Erskine's Chew Chang Khar (under the trees - a famous eating spot during lunch hours and weekends). He only comes at about 3 - 4pm.
The bun is soft, the meat is well-grilled - not hard, but tender and not too dry. The gravy for the buns are not too sweet nor too salty. Best of all, the price is very reasonable compared to many other places. Only RM1.00 per bun. He also sells grilled chicken drumsticks and chicken wings. They are seasoned very well and the meat is juicy and sweet. Also luncheon mean to be taken with the bun and skewered meat balls.
When I first went to buy from him, I asked his permission if I can take a photo of him in action. He allowed me to do so, but unfortunately, the batteries konked. I went back again a few days later, same thing happened, but finally, I managed to take some pics of him on Friday. He even gave me a lengthy interview when I told him I want to put his photos in my blog!!! Hahaha!!!
Ratings : 8/10

No comments: