Wednesday, August 13, 2008

...of mount erskine wan tan mee and me...


For the past year until now, I have been frequenting this wan tan mee stall in Mount Erskine Market for breakfast. There are four wan tan mee (noodles) stalls in the market food court itself...three in the main (1st) section and one more in the second section.

The first stall is the most famous amongst all. You have to wait for at least 15 minutes(if you are lucky) to get your wan tan mee!!! I have tried this stall before...well, not as great as it's reputation. The behind this stall in the second lane, there is a girl who sells wan tan mee too, but I guess not that good, as I have never heard comments about it. Then the third is a pushcart in the third lane...this uncle and aunty not only sells wan tan mee but also hokkien mee. Did not live up to its reputation either.

The stall I frequent most, if also a pushcart, next to the shop selling baking items. It seems, the uncle and aunty of this stall, is related to the other couple in the third lane. Brothers, to be exact. This stall sells hokkien mee too and is famous for it's wan tan noodles in hokkien mee soup!!! I cannot remember who introduced me to this stall, but I have been taking wan tan mee or hokkien mee from this stall for more than a year...(once, at least, everyweek...sometimes almost daily) for breakfast.

I would not say this is the BEST wan tan mee in Penang, but the best in the Mount Erskine Market. What choice do I have if I go to the market for breakfast. The noodles are stringy and the sauce is thick enough. Uncle knows my order...with extra chai sim...The price is still RM2.50 per plate and the wan tan in soup comes in a different bowl. Sometimes the wan tan is nice, but sometimes it's so empty and same goes for the soup. The portion is just nice for a breakfast. Mama Soo gave me a packet of chili padi (bird's eye chili/ca bai burung). I would bring a few along everytime I go to the market for breakfast. My order is always the same...wan tan mee and the best, the kopi peng kau (thick coffee milk). According to the coffee auntie, Ah Choo, she always mix my coffee with two kinds of milk (condense and evaporated). Everytime, she sees me sitting down in one of the tables, she would make a glass for me without taking my orders!!! It has increased from RM1.10 to RM1.20 today. So, that's my breakfast...for more than a year, and hopefully many more to come :)
Coffee Ratings : 7/10
Wan Tan Mee Rating : 6/10

No comments: