Monday, August 4, 2008

...my beloved ah kong and ah mah...

Before the days of groovy a-go-go in the 60s, "travolta" disco in the 70s, the Michael Jackson 80s, rapping 90s and the hip-hop at the turn of the century, there was the elegance of ballroom dancing.


My maternal grandparents had been in that era in Penang when ballroom dancing was the "in" dance move. (Now you know where I learnt my steps). People would gather at night and do the waltz, the foxtrot, the quickstep, the tango, the rumba, the samba and the cha cha in nightclubs and the Latin Quarter. They did what Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers did on screen.

My grandfather, A.B. Koid (27th January 1909 - 4th August 1984) was a dancing teacher. And my grandmother, better known as Baby Khoo (13th May 1919 - 29th March 2006) was a dancer in her own accord. They are both dancing cheek to cheek now in the celestrial ballroom.


Goodbye, Ah Kong and Ah Mah...thank you for being a big part of my life. I love and miss you both...

"One day, when we were young, one wonderful morning in May...You told me, you love me, when we were young one day..."

No comments: