Sunday, August 17, 2008

...my little library...

This weekend went on my shopping binge for books again. Two giant book shops in Penang are having a great book fair this month. Popular Bookstore is having a book fair from 15th August to 1st Sept in One Stop Midlands and Borders is having theirs in Queensbay Mall.

Usually, Popular Bookstore did not hold the kind of books I buy. They usually sell and promote Chinese Books and English Fictions. Only a limited collection of non-fiction literatures are avaible. I decided to try my luck on the first day of the fair. Upon reaching there, I was told that only members are allowed on the first day. Alas, I do not have a member card. The guy asked me to sign up for RM10.00 to be a member. I do not see the need of being a member as I mentioned just now. So, I went down to the second hand book shop Twenty Twenty two floors down. I was browsing for my books, when the shop assistant offered her help. After I could not find what I wanted there either, I told the shop assistant that how unfortunate the book fair above is only for members. Hearing my dismay, she offered me her Popular membership card. So kind and sweet of her. Thanks Ms Scully. I went up again.

On Saturday night, I was at Borders as usual (my only hang out in Queensbay). Since there is nothing new install for me, I was about to leave when my eyes caught the sight of this hardcover book..."The Sound of Music Companion" (a must have!!!) for RM89.90. When I was paying for the book, the cashier informed me that right to the back, there are book that are on offer...up to 50%!!! Who could resist!!! I hurriedly went to the back and there are bins of books. Again, everything in everything!!! But all was not lost, I found the Lauren Bacall autobiography for RM44.50 with a rebate of 50%.

Now I am having a real problem in stacking up my books. My room cum library is simply running out of place to keep these books. With the four books I bought over the weekend, it adds up to 561 books in my collection (all autobios, bios, picture books of Hollywood celebrites and classic memorabilias and not counting some Amy Tan's, at least twenty books on supernatural and a few more on other subjects).









Looks like I have to get one more of those DIY shelfs again!!!

No comments: