Sunday, August 31, 2008

...my car full of toy biscuits...

Finally, after a month of free roaming (and I dont mean Maxis or Celcom or Wifi), the hungry ghosts are finally called back to where ever they came from. The Hungry Ghost Month is over...that is the 7th month in the Chinese Lunar calender and now it's the beginning of the 8th month. Which means...MOONCAKES!!!

I have passed up my cravings for mooncakes many years ago...except occasionally, when the sight of the salted duck egg yolks tempt me, would I give in. I would very much prefer the conventional tau sah (black bean paste), leng yong (lotus seed paste) and occasional pandan or chinese ham and nuts. Mooncakes come in so many flavours now...you name it, they have it...tiramisu, chocolate, durian, yam, etc.

But this is not about mooncakes, but ang kong nga pniah (toy biscuits?). Ang kong nga pniah has similar ingredients to the mooncake skin but it had no fillings. It was usually plain and made in the shape of little piggies and they are put inside plastic piggy baskets. Today, ang kong nga pniah had a real makeover, they usually come in different shapes and has fillings...from dessicated coconut to pineapple jam to melon seeds.
Toh Hng Restaurant in Sungai Petani is famous for it's Coconut Pandan Ang Kong Nga Pniah. In fact, all the mooncakes made in Toh Hng is good. The coconut pandan is made from the juice of the fragrant pine leaves and dessicated coconut. The pastry is soft and moist and not teeth sticking. And the best part, it is not sweet.

Today, I filled up my car with 48 boxes of ang kong nga pniah...that was bought from Toh Hng. Judy instigated the order. So the order kept coming in. Seh Seow suggested I bring a van in next year!!! Joanne and Seh Seow also suggested I should impose a tax or fuel surcharge!!!

Watch out for mooncakes and ang kong nga pniah recommendations.

Ratings : 7/10

P/S Thank you Gan Lia Han and husband for making my life so much easier with the orders!!!

No comments: