Sunday, August 31, 2008

...a taste of old chinese cuisine...


For the past few weekends, I have been trying to stay away from good food...well, at least away from heavy meals...but alas, my mission is always a failure...Carole, it's goodbye to my "mission swimming trunk" for me!!!

Guess where to this time? To Nan Yang Chinese Cuisine. It is located in the corner of Pitt Street and Armenian Street, opposite the Yeap Clan House. The main door is facing the Pitt Street and the side door is facing Armenian Street. For those who love Penang historical sites and architecture, Nan Yang is in the typical pre-war Chinese house with high ceiling, halls after halls. The interior is simply beautiful. The exterior is decorated whi nice plants and greens. It even has a tub of lotus plant with magnificent huge leaves. The interior holds a few round tables and rattan chairs. Chinese calligraphies in red papers are glued to the walls that also holds some nice pieces of Chinese arts and drawings. I have been there many times, found the food nice although the price is a bit stiff. I have always liked the interior and ambiance. The place is seldom packed.

Well, this trip was not as pleasant as the earlier few. The lady who took our order that night must have gotten up from the wrong side of the bed. Her face is so stern, without a trace of smile. I wonder why they put her in the front counter? Maybe to ward off evil spirits!!! Hahaha :P

We ordered the usual "too khar chor" (pig trotters in black vinegar). Too khar chor is usually consumed by confinement mothers as this is to heat their blood system. I have always like too khar chor (my big belly qualifies me!!!). It came in a claypot...still boiling. The pig trotters are a bit dry this time. I love the ginger though. Not too sweet, but a little more vinegar will be nicer. It has to have the balance between sweetness and sour.

Next came the "oh mee" (oyster noodles). It is just yellow noodles fried with oysters and chai sim and a little meat. I find the taste a little bland for that night, but with a dash of tow yew (soya sauce) or if you like sambal, then it should be good enough. Oh, talking about sambal, it is too liquid. I still think pounded sambal is very much better than blended.

Sambal kangkung (eng chai char sambai) came next...all about sambal kangkung, is the sambal. The vegetable has to be stir fried at a very high heat and the sambal must have enough belacan. Every chu char restaurant sells kangkung sambal, but the taste is different. No where cooks the same sambal kangkung. Well, the sambal kangkung here is mediocre. It is fragrant enough, but still lacking something.

The other dish we had was fish fillet with yam. It comes in a claypot too. It is cooked with sliced ginger and lots of Chinese cooking wine. It really smells good...and the taste is just appetizing enough and should be taken when its hot. The fillet is fried but not over done.
The last dish in was the Rempah Kay. This is a very much interesting dish although not special. The chicken chuncks are well marinated (with a trace of tumeric) and the sauce is like tomyum (sweet, sour and a little spicy).
There are other nice dishes that I have tried before like the three-cup-chicken (which I have modified and I make a much better one), the gigantic poh pniah, the potato flour flat noodles, etc.
That night, the bill was a little more expensive than I expected. Well, with the price and the the look of the cashier cum waitress (I think she is the proprietor's daugther), I do not think I will be going back awhile.
Ratings : 7/10

No comments: